January 22, 2010

Caterpillar Lunch Cake!

















My 3 year old loves the book "The Very Hungry Caterpillar" by Eric Carle and for some reason calls it the Caterpillar Lunch book. (Maybe because he eats everything in sight?) The picture on the top is the cake I just made for her birthday party tomorrow. The picture on the bottom is the original water color caterpillar. It may not be an exact match, but mine tastes much more delicious!

Vegan cake can be a hard thing to conquer, so I decided to turn to the interwebs for help. I typed in "fluffy vegan cake" and the first thing that came up looked like a keeper.

I went to the store and got some pre-made frosting. Turns out, some brands are vegan and it's cheaper to buy it than make it. And easier. And it thickens better.

I used some black gel frosting, jelly beans and twizzlers for the yummy bits. I suggest you put this on a colorful cake board. I made mine out of some cardboard I had. I got tissue paper from the dollar store (dots are kind of a theme in the book) and taped it down well. Personalize it with the gel and you have an edible vegan delight.

I bet she is going to love it!

2 comments: