January 18, 2010

Tofu Smammiches - Rocking your face.


"And the heavens opened and lo, a tofu smammich came down from the heavens to be a light for all of mankind."

Yes, it really is that good and simple. Maybe you've made it before but I'm starting things off with some of my favorite foods of all time.

First thing you want to do is get yourself some extra firm tofu. For this I go to Kroger because they have a store brand that costs $1.39 while most other brands cost $1.99. That may not seem like a big difference, but when you buy as much tofu as I do you'll be grateful for the extra help. Now lots of folks drain tofu in different ways. I can't be bothered so I slice that baby up and let the pan do the work. Lemme show you.




This part is important because it requires you to have a non stick pan and if you don't you'll end up with burnt tofu bits. Promise. You want to cut the pieces lengthwise from the top and make then as thick or thin as you like. * Keep in mind that thin slices will make for crispy bites and thick ones will be chewier on the inside.*



The non stick pan will allow you to let the tofu simmer and the water will naturally evaporate and you will be left with this.
Do not add oil to this pan!! You'll never get it crispy if you do.






As for seasonings, use what you like. For this recipe I enjoy salt, pepper and mesquite. It's simple and it should be because the next ingredient is even more awesome than tofu. Hummus!






This is Sabra Classic Hummus, my favorite of all the store brands. I can get this for $3.99 a container at Kroger, and they often have them on reduced quick sale - this works for me because it will be gone in two days and I win.


To keep this sammy simple and delicious I pile it high with baby spinach or a romaine blend, but you can add whatever you like. Slide all of that between two toasted whole wheat pieces of bread and you have what I like to call nom noms. This recipe happily provides a lot of food for a small budget. All of the ingredients will cost roughly around $8 but it could provide a minimum of four meals.

**There were no available coupons for this recipe at the current time but I once wrote Sabra and told them how awesome their hummus is and they sent me a coupon for free hummus!**

1 comment:

  1. Love the free Sabra tip! Oh, and the recipe sound really good, too!
    Cheers
    Christina

    ReplyDelete