March 15, 2010

UnCheesecake Parfaits

This past Sunday The Vegan Food Project had another lovely potluck, this time brunch themed. While trying to decide what to make for this gathering, I was highly inspired by two desserts my husband and I shared for my birthday. One was a rich cake like parfait and the other was a vegan cheesecake.
Both were so good that I knew I could make something brunch appropriate that somehow incorporated both. These delicious cups are filled with flavor and nutrition - and maybe some sugar and smart balance and a little "OMG".

INGREDIENTS
(Makes 8 servings if using 9 oz. cups)
1 tub Toffuti Cream Cheese
1 container Strawberry Soy Yogurt
1/2 cup sugar
1 tsp lemon juice
1/2 package of vegan graham crackers or other vegan cookie
1/2 cup smart balance butter
Fresh berries
cashews (optional)

Being by blending the filling. Mix the cream cheese, yogurt, sugar and lemon juice until well combined. Let sit in the fridge and chill until ready to use.
In a food processor pulse the graham crackers or cookies until no large chunks remains. Pour melted smart balance over grahams and mix with hands until evenly coated and able to maintain a shape without falling apart.
Press the graham crust into the bottom of a parfait cup. Spoon filling in and top with fresh berries and cashews.

If you prefer the chocolate filling you will need to melt 1/2 cup peanut butter and 1/4 cup chocolate chips together in a non stick pan over medium heat. Chill and follow instructions as above.


I'm really proud of this recipe. I usually never create recipes on the fly. I'm more prone to bastardizing existing ones. I hope you enjoy this one as much as we did!

Happy eating!!

2 comments: