March 9, 2010

Don't tell me you don't want to eat this.


One night a couple of weeks ago I wanted to surprise my husband with a classic, homemade dinner. It was what we call "romantic dinner night", and he's been gone directing a lot as of late so I wanted to make our time together as special as possible. I turned my attentions toward comfort food and headed to the store. Asparagus was on sale, vegan chick'n was half off and I already had red potatoes. When I brought this out to him (along with a frosty ale) he had the wonderment of a child on Christmas morning in his eyes. I received many kisses for this one and I think you will too. But not by my husband, cuz we don't get down like that.

Asparagus Recipe:
1. Rinse the asparagus and chop off the rough ends.
2. Arrange on a baking sheet, drizzle with olive oil, salt, pepper and garlic to taste.
3. Pop in a 350 degree oven for 10 minutes.

Red Skin Popper: (or baked potato as some normal people may call it)
1. Take one large potato and poke several holes in it. Microwave for about 7 minutes. Yea, I microwave. It takes a lot less time and energy than baking but you can cook it however you want.
2. You can find the cheese sauce recipe here. It's pricey, but worth it. Ooo so worth it.
3.Top the potato with the sauce and bacon bits which, ironically, are vegan.

Fried Chik'n:
1. First find a brand of chick'n that you love, but make sure it is dense enough to stand up to frying oil. Any cutlet should do the trick. (The ones above are Gardein brand cutlets)
2. Allow a non stick pan of vegetable oil to become fairly hot. Make sure it's filled up about half way but not so full that you'll have a mess on your hands.
3. Make a mixture of 1/2 cup flour, 1/4 cup nutritional yeast and salt and pepper to taste.
4. Dredge the chick'n in plain soymilk and then in the flour mixture.
5. Cook the pieces in the hot oil for about 5 minutes, flip and let cook for three more.


I know this looks so heavy and filling, but it was actually a very light and satisfying meal with tons of health benefits. Antioxidants, protein and above all - amazing flavor. Enjoy!

Krisitna

2 comments:

  1. That sounds amazing! Along with the irony of bacon bits being vegan, so is Pilsbury Cream Cheese Frosting. Go figure.
    Cheers!
    Christina

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pilsbury cream cheese frosting is vegan? I am happy to know this, even if I won't eat it that often.
    Thanks for reading!!

    ReplyDelete